Sunday, November 13, 2011

For the Love of Garlic

On Friday, I swung past Hannaford Supermarket in Kingston and bought a pack of 6 organic garlic bulbs for $1.99. I then headed to our community garden at The Plymouth Area Coalition for the Homeless in Kingston (Bridie's Garden) to plant them. Since it was Veterans Day, there was no school and 3 kids staying at the shelter were able to come out and help me in the garden.

Rock label
We separated the bulbs into individual cloves (there were probably 70 cloves) and planted them about 1" deep along two edges of the garden (using rocks as labels so everyone will know where we planted them).

Making a rock label
We had been avoiding the center of the garden since it was recently tilled and with all the rain - was quite the mud pit. BUT THEN, we had only a few cloves of garlic left and the brilliant idea to plant them in secret spots throughout the garden. So, we ventured from the garden's edges where we had begun our planting and into the mud, when I heard a little girl yell "I'm stuck!" I thought she was kidding at first but it quickly became apparent that she wasn't! I ran out to the center of the garden and pulled her out of the mud. You could hear the suction release when she was freed. BUT THEN, I was stuck too and my shoes were sinking quickly! My feet slipped out of my shoes as I was trying to free myself... and that was the end to the white socks I was wearing. There's not much more to the story, except that everyone was laughing at the end and we can't wait to harvest our garlic next spring. For the love of garlic, gardening, and the opportunity to share that moment with some incredibly cheerful kids from the shelter.... it was totally worth it!

My shoes
 Also, our garden volunteers planted winter rye (a cover crop and nitrogen fixer) in the garden several weeks ago. We were happy to see it sprouting!

Winter rye
-Post by Sarah Kugel, Community Outreach Coordinator, AmeriCorps MassLIFT Volunteer at Wildlands Trust (skugel@wildlandstrust.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment